ChanceMaree

Chance's Take on Books

I'm a novelist who loves to read and discuss all things word-bound.

Swann's Way
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis
Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
Virginia Tufte
The Chicago Manual of Style
John Grossman, Margaret D. Mahan
I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
Steve Earle
Verland: The Transformation - B.E. Scully Verland is a Gothic-type vampire story. I hadn't read any vampires books except Anne Rice's vampire series and Nosferatu by G. Fleming. I've seen Twilight and True Blood on video. So, I thought the concepts pertaining to vampire immortality, loneliness and angst had pretty well been explored. Given that, Verland is in much the same vein, true to the genre -- with an added twist or two, the choice of its heroine, and the villain.

Elle B. is smart, focused and doesn't get carried away. She keeps her integrity during the novel, which is rare when woman meets vampire. The villain is a rich egomaniac who wants immortality and uses people like pawns to have his way. The vampire, Verland is the key to the villain's grandiose plan. There is a cerebral bend of the novel, rather than an over-reliance on gore in most current vampire novels.

I gave the novel three stars because the character and subplots were a bit flat. Lovely touches were added, around hawks for example, which makes the novel good for a debut. There wasn't enough real tension or inner conflict to give the characters depth or any richness of flesh and blood. However, the writing is clear, edited, and didn't get in the way of the story. That said, I think the basic elements are there for development. The story is certainly complete as written, but E.B, er, I mean B.E. left room for a sequel.