ChanceMaree

Chance's Take on Books

I'm a novelist who loves to read and discuss all things word-bound.

Swann's Way
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis
Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
Virginia Tufte
The Chicago Manual of Style
John Grossman, Margaret D. Mahan
I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
Steve Earle
The World to Come - Dara Horn This is a difficult book for me to rate. I'd say 2.5 stars and I'd have liked to give it 3 stars but parts irritated me so much I can't say I enjoyed it overall, nor would I recommend it. For example, the constant referral to the dimples under characters' noses was interesting at first, then predictable and made me laugh (not in a good way), then felt just plain annoying to the point I wanted to throttle the words. On the other hand, I enjoyed the Yiddish folklore. That and the topic of reincarnation got me through it. Often though, the book dripped with honey and preciousness that sent me running for Listerine - but that's my issue, not the author's, necessarily.

The story worked best before the mechanics of the afterlife were revealed. While those scenes tried to bask in the folklore genre, they came across as ridiculous and boring to me, so I began to skim, and skim and skim until the end, at which point I didn't care much anymore. So, the start was good, the middle dragged and the end was disappointing. Two stars is probably about right.