ChanceMaree

Chance's Take on Books

I'm a novelist who loves to read and discuss all things word-bound.

Swann's Way
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis
Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
Virginia Tufte
The Chicago Manual of Style
John Grossman, Margaret D. Mahan
I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
Steve Earle
Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) - Harry Connolly After the first couple of scenes I nearly put the book away thinking it would be senseless schlock. That may sound a bit cruel, but really - a child bursting into flames, and worms, and a fight with a couple in a station wagon, with a baby in the back, may foreshadow an action-packed story, but I was in the mood for something more interesting.

Needless to say, thankfully, I kept reading. 4.5 stars. Ray, the main character turns out to be quite introspective, and funny as hell. He is the woodman for Annalise, who a super hero villain type woman who never relents, yet, has a heart in there somewhere. Their adventure unfolds as a tale masterfully told, and the background story enriches the action rather than dragging it down. I laughed, I shuddered at the violence, and was intrigued with the situation. Best of all, I watched the story in the my cranial movie house - all signs of a gifted writer with a thrilling story to tell. Good read for lovers of urban fantasy mixed with some horror.