ChanceMaree

Chance's Take on Books

I'm a novelist who loves to read and discuss all things word-bound.

Swann's Way
John Grossman, Margaret D. Mahan
I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
Steve Earle
Pink Water - James  Field
This is the second installment of The Cloud Brothers series. I suggest reading [b:Gathering Clouds...|13454738|Gathering Clouds...|James Field|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328520555s/13454738.jpg|18982195] first because I believe I would have enjoyed Pink Water more had I already been acquainted with the Cloud Brothers, their parents, and the insect aliens.

Pink Water is a YA Science Fiction story, and is appropriate for the younger range of that genre except for one scene with strong language. The lessons of peaceful socialization, empathy, and anger management would work well in the younger age range.

One thing that struck me about the writing was that a good 85% or more of the text seemed to be dialogue. Descriptive prose was sparse and mostly used to change scenes. The dialogue was close to life rather than fictionalized, which added redundancy and characterized verbal tics that seemed a bit overused.

The plot was clear and brought to completion. It suffered from mid-novel drag, but pulled off a large action scene at the end. For avid readers of science fiction, no new ground was covered, but for those exploring the genre, the swim in Pink Water should be fun.

I received a free copy in exchange for a non-reciprocal, honest review.